Thursday, April 5, 2007

What is it all about?

Time has really gone fast and here we are celebrating Holy Week again and in a few days we’ll celebrate Easter! Weeks ago you could see the shops decorating their windows with chickens and eggs. Not only the windows had cute yellow chicken decorations but even paper bags and cards and drawings at the nursery. Of course the traditional Easter bunny is also present, in chocolates and cards and everywhere else you can think of.

I was wondering what little children think of Easter. If they think we celebrate a bunny or a chicken or if they think it’s all about eating chocolate eggs. The thought of it makes me sad. Because even for families who are not religious or have another religion than Christian I think it’s at least a question of general knowledge to explain to children what is celebrated at Easter. I believe children have the right to access knowledge and telling them what Christmas or Easter really is about should be so natural as any other knowledge we let them access to.

I wonder if some parents are afraid of talking to their children about religion. My theory is they probably don’t explain because them theirselves don’t know enough. I have lots of friends that are non-religious; my husband is non-religious as well. I love them very much as they are. However I‘d just like to encourage all of them not to hesitate to bring up their children letting them access to all kinds of good knowledge. Sweden’s official religion is Christian Lutheran. Many parents have been baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran church. Nevertheless they don’t talk to their children about things like Easter.

I’ve had lovely chats with my oldest son who is 4,5 years old. We have talked about different
religions, and that he, his brother and I are Catholics, while his dad is Christian. We have talked about lent and we have abstained from chocolate on Ash Wednesday. And we even talk about Jesus being hurt and even crucified, in a very simple and non-dramatic way. I feel very good about talking about these things with him. How could I otherwise let him go around thinking Easter is a “chocolate egg” celebration? I’m catholic so for me it’s a natural thing to talk about Jesus and God.

I really wish every religious parent would talk about religion with their children.

I wish as well non-religious parents would talk about religion too, since sooner or later their children too will in some or other way get in touch with it.

Happy Easter and may God bless you!

No comments: