Friday, March 23, 2007

How to live with pain

I have met lots of people with pain. My father got kidney cancer last year ... I have personal acquaintances or family relatives who also had cancer. These people suffer a lot but I hadn't realize it until I got pregnant again and got a strong gastritis, of course nothing compared to cancer or other painful illnesses. But for me it was quite painful.

It could hurt as much as delivery contractions and the pain would last for hours, many times coming in the middle of the night. I would wake up in the morning quite exhausted, with a day in front of me full of child and household and social activities.

During three months I met very few of my friends, answered very few emails, and called my friends seldom. It was not I. I complained a lot and my mood was quite gloomy. I kept praying but even my prayer life was affected, so I prayed less and probably with less faith.

In the beginning I asked God to take the pain away but then I realized that wouldn't necessarily make me a better mother, or better wife or better daughter or better friend. Honestly I felt lousy at most of it. So after a while I started asking God to make me love life even with the pain. To make me accept this new situation and make the most out of it. I knew as well that most probably the gastritis would go away after a couple of months or at least when the pregnancy was over.

It has gotten much much better. I feel my old self again and that feels great. It's like seeing the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel.

All of this made me however think a lot about so many people around me who live with pain. For some people, it is the kind of pain that might never go away. I pray for them and admire all of those who love life even with pain... who don't complain, don't look sad and are a source of strength and happiness to others. Dad you're one of them. Eva, you are too.

All of you who read my blog please feel encouraged to share your life experiences. All your experiences, both the good and the bad, can help others...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i live with pain too, it's not such a hard pain compared with others, but the same as you did, i realized that, ...there is a lot of people suffering, and now i feel lot more related to their pain,

i can say i feel more human maybe, since I know how it feels

so thanks for sharing those feelings in your blog

love!

eduardo