Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Should children work?


Definitely! But only at home. December in Sweden can be, and for me and my family usually is, a quite hectic month. There are so many traditions and we wouldn't like to fall behind. Today we celebrated Santa Lucia all over Sweden, at homes, at schools at all levels, in churches, at concerts, on the streets, both big and small. Santa Lucia is originally a catholic saint and martyr from the 4th century who lived in Italy. Her name means the one that carries the light. That's probably why in Sweden women representing Lucia dress in white and carry candles on the hair. My children and I have been baking like crazy. It's adorable to see them work. The oldest who is 4 years old works so well that he will soon be doing the baking alone. The youngest is only 1,5 years old and messes up more than he helps, but it's so lovely to see his efforts to do exactly as his younger brother and I do. So even if he messes up so much every time he wants to help I let him do it, I even encourage him and show him how to do things, unless I'm short of time. Hopefully, in time, he'll get skillfull and together with his brother they'll be doing my work!

No comments: