Sunday, November 8, 2009

The light of life

It was a while since I wrote last, I'm sorry for that since I like writing and sharing my thoughts about motherhood and life.

Our baby girl is now 2 years and going a few hours a day to a very sweet nursery using Maria Montessori’s pedagogy. A very inspiring Italian doctor and teacher who died aprox.50 years ago. The last year I tried to get mentally used to the fact that she would start nursery. For many Swedish parents it's not at all strange to leave their children in day care much before they turn two. But I am quite certain that in many other countries they find it difficult (probably for a variety of reasons) to leave so small children to other caretakers than family. I wish I could persuade more of my friends and acquaintances to wait more before they leave their little ones in other unknown hands. Some small children spend many hours a week away from home.

The fact is that there is, contrary to what many believe, studies that show that a strong attachment has many positive outcomes. In order to keep attached with small children we need necessarily to spend time with them. If they are away many hours a day, and we meet them when they are tired and we are tired from our jobs, how good can that equation in the long term turn out?

On the other hand if we make an effort to work less, and of course get paid less (less to buy also) and prioritise our small children (older ones also need prioritising, no doubt) we will surely reap good fruits later in life and we will be giving our children a very good platform to jump from later on.

No comments: