Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Along the way, take time to smell the flowers


We came back from our summer holidays a few days ago and I was so much wanting to write again. We had two beautiful sailing weeks in the archipelago of Stockholm, lovely scenery and lovely family time, just the four of us, and my big belly (I’m due in four weeks). Then we visited my husband’s relatives in the west coast of Sweden, among them his aunt.

We stayed with aunty a few days. When we arrived I saw at once the familiar glass portrait that was given to aunty by a friend of hers many many years ago.

On it you can read: “Along the way, take time to smell the flowers”.

And I wondered how many times we take time…

Time to appreciate nature, time to read a good book, time to appreciate help provided by someone, time to see our children play or sleep or grow, time for our loved ones, time for ourselves, time for prayer . . .

During our holidays, and specially while we were sailing I felt very much relaxed and at ease. It felt as if all my worries of the previous weeks had vanished. I could still think about the issues but somehow I felt an inner peace that made me not fear the delivery of the baby, or the first months of bad sleep, or our housing situation (we need to move to a bigger place), or my husband’s job, or my parent’s health. . . And I thought is it the magic of the holidays (holidays are well known for having this effect, aren’t they) or is it something else? I wonder, for instance, if any of the readers of this blog have felt something similar. . .

With only four weeks left for delivery it would be easy to stress and want to fit lots of things in a tight schedule. Like when you’re off for holidays and have lots to do at work and at home. I decided I don’t want it that way. I don’t want to stress. I want to experience this feeling of peace for a longer while. I want to have time to stop by and smell the flowers. I want to have time for my family. Time to call a friend. Time for prayer has been decisive, prayer (understood as a communication with God) has made me strong, has given me insight.

My husband said to me something that I very much keep in mind. “Don’t sign up for lots of things these few weeks left before the baby is born. Use your time to be, to exist. Take time to be with the children.” And I have promised myself I will. It’s only four weeks left and I will definitely take the time.

I guess it’s more a state of mind, of spirit. Because I still have to take care of the practicalities of the household, and other practicalities that arise unexpectedly along the way.

I wish this inner peace to my relatives and friends and to all readers of this humble blog.

No comments: